By Cristin Van Horn, Edgewater Studio manager
And just like that, the summer is ⅔ of the way over. Your inner child is screaming WAIIITTTTT I haven’t even been to the beach yet!! We hear you, but before you let those summertime blues creep in, here are some ideas, that even the busiest among us will be able to squeeze in before the leaves change orange and our FROZÉ becomes a Pumpkin Spiced Martini.
For the Work all Week then Adventure on the Weekend type:
You work hard during the week, you deserve to get away for a few days. These are some of our favorite weekend adventures.
- See how beautiful New York State really is, with a weekend in the Catskill Mountains. From breathtaking waterfall hikes to tasty wineries, the Catskills are for everyone in your group.
- If you make it there, check out Dani’s favorite spot Scribner’s Catskill Lodge. If that’s just a bit too far, try a day hike and dip in the lake at the beautiful and dog-friendly Ramapo Valley County Reservation.
- If you are less of lake and more of an ocean girl, GET YOUR ASS DTS (down the shore for those of you who are living under a rock). New Jersey literally has dozens of amazing beach towns to choose from. Not a big drinker? Spend the weekend in the gorgeous South Jersey family town of Ocean City and grab a slice at the world famous Manco and Manco. Want something a little closer to home? Take the girls to Spring Lake or Long Branch for the day. If you make it to Long Branch, stop at Max’s Hot Dogs...it never tasted so good to be bad! And don’t forget your hangover cure from Rook Coffee for the drive home!
For the Busy Can’t Get Away For A Weekend type:
Maybe it’s the kid’s fault, or the endless list of weekend obligations you still have left to fulfill this Summer, but you just can’t get away for a weekend. No Worries we have you covered!
- Citi Summer in the Square
Where: Union Square Park (a short ferry ride into the big bad city away)
When: Thursdays in August
What: A full day of FREE stuff like workouts, music, and fun… did we say it’s FREE??
- Hoboken Movies Under the Stars
Where: Pier A Park Hoboken
When: Weds 8/1, 8/8, 8/15 8:30PM
hat: Free movie screening. Come early and bring a blanket or lawn chair to sit on. Food is permitted, but unfortunately no booze. Movies (in order of date) include: The Isle of Dogs, Ferdinand, and Coco.
- Gelato Festival Jersey City 2018
Where: Liberty State Park_CRRNJ Terminal Concourse
When: Saturday 8/11 & Sunday 8/12 12:00pm-7:00pm
What: One of 8 festivals in the US, Gelato artisans compete to be entered to compete in the American final in 2012. For $30 you can spend the day seeing the secrets behind the best gelato in America.. Not to mention EAT AMAZING GELATO DUH
If all else fails grab your bestie, pop open a bottle of your favorite Rosé, and sit on your front stoop to enjoy the weather while it’s still here! (Need a bestie who likes Rosé? You can find me in the Edgewater studio 5 days a week...I never let friends drink alone!)